Summer Communications Internship
Posting Date: January 2020
Application Deadline: March 15th, 2020
An Intern is offered a rich learning experience in which they are expected to provide support for account service personnel in a variety of ways, including but not limited to, focusing on the basic concepts, procedures and functions of public relations activities. Responsibilities are discussed and assigned by various agency personnel on an as needed basis. Supporting client work is the primary function of an Intern. Through these activities, Interns are provided the opportunity to gain valuable exposure to and knowledge of the firm’s basic operations, team structure and client service offerings. The specific scope of work within the Intern position is determined by the individual development of the Intern and his/her ability to perform and master the technical aspects of client-related work.
- Aptitude to write clear and concise copy for print, broadcast and social media. Writing could include: news releases, pitch letters, company profiles and newsletter articles
- Coordinate media material creation, distribution and monitoring
- Possess a basic understanding of media distribution channels and the general news media
- Oversee media list development and/or research and media telephone and email follow-up outreach
- Organize, categorize and create electronic client clip reports
- Execute and follow through on client requests and projects as assigned by staff in a timely and efficient manner
- Listen, work and communicate efficiently and effectively with colleagues, clients and all other firm contacts and partners
- Exhibit an eagerness to learn and accept new responsibilities
- Demonstrate the ability to take ownership of a project and work independently, as well as part of a team
- Manage and prioritize assignments from internal staff on behalf of numerous clients; meet all deadlines
- Operate in a flexible and adaptive manner within a fast-paced firm environment
- Possess organizational and attention to detail abilities
- Comply with all policies, procedures, standards and firm rules and expectations
- Basic knowledge and understanding of public relations strategies, theories and activities
- Must be currently enrolled as a college student or an immediate post-graduate with a focus on public relations, communications, journalism or marketing. Minimum junior status required if still enrolled in school.
- Previous industry experience (internships) preferred but not required
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications; knowledge of industry monitoring and measurement data systems a plus
- Must have availability Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.